Planning Commission Hearing Guidelines and Procedures
- Testimony should be limited to three (3) minutes. You will be asked to state your name and address for the record.
- If possible, written materials (letters, petitions) should be submitted to Butler County's Planning Department (130 High Street, 6th floor, Hamilton, OH 45011) prior to the hearing. An extra copy of all written materials should be provided so that it may be placed in the record.
- All comments and questions should be addressed to the Commission and not directed toward proponents or opponents in the audience.
- The Commission wants to hear all comments.
- Roll call of Planning Commission Members.
- Approval of minutes from previous meeting.
- Zone Change Requests - the Commission makes a recommendation to the appropriate Zoning Commission. The Planning Commission does not approve or deny the request.
- Approval of Preliminary Subdivision Plats - the Commission deliberates whether the Plat meets all of the Preliminary Plat requirements of the Butler County Subdivision Regulations.
- Approval of Final Subdivision Plats - the Commission deliberates whether the Plat meets all of the Final Plat requirements of the Butler County Subdivision Regulations.
- Other Business
Zone Change Request Hearing Procedure
- Staff Presentation - The Department of Development - Planning Division staff gives the Planning Commission a brief overview of the applicant's zoning request including maps, drawings, photographs and related documents.
- Applicant Presentation - The applicant of the zone change request explains their reason for requesting the zoning change. The applicant may provide pictures, drawings, and maps as well as testimony from attorneys, architects, engineers or planners involved with the project.
- Testimony in Favor of the Request - The Commission takes testimony from anyone in the audience who wishes to speak in favor of the request.
- Testimony Against the Request - The Commission takes testimony from anyone in the audience who wishes to speak in opposition to the request.
- Neutral Comments or Questions - The Commission takes testimony from anyone who has comments or questions of a general nature about the request and who is neither in favor or against the request.
- Deliberation - The Commission closes public testimony period and begins to deliberate amongst themselves the merits of the zone change request. The Commission may ask questions of anyone in the audience who has given testimony.
- Call to Entertain A Motion - After discussion and deliberation, the Planning Commission chairperson invites the Commission to make a motion on the request.
- Motion to Recommend Approval, Approval with Conditions, Disapproval or Table - Commission members must verbally make a motion. If the motion is seconded, a voice vote is taken on the motion.
- Planning Commission Action - The Commission sends a Resolution of their recommendation to the appropriate Zoning Commission for their consideration.