A Goal is a general statement of a future condition, which is considered desirable for the community. It is a target towards which actions are aimed. Goals are intended to be broad, long-range and all encompassing, which should experience little change through the years. Within the goals, all other planning elements (objectives and strategies) should be derived.
An Objective is a statement of measurable activity to be accomplished in pursuit of the goal. It refers to specific aspirations that are reasonably attainable.
A Strategy is a specific proposal to do something that relates directly to accomplishing the objective. It defines "what" is to be done.
The purpose of these Goals, Objectives and Strategies is to establish an overall framework to provide direction for future planning and zoning efforts in Butler County. They also provide a rational basis for regulating development by describing the end result that is desired for the community.
TO PROMOTE THE ORDERLY AND EFFICIENT LAYOUT AND APPROPRIATE USE OF LAND IN BUTLER COUNTY TO PROMOTE THE HEALTH, SAFETY AND WELFARE OF ALL RESIDENTS AND TO LEAVE FUTURE GENERATIONS A DESIRABLE PLACE TO WORK, STUDY AND RESIDE.
- To ascertain what type of balance should be struck between agriculture lands, conservation areas, residential, commercial and industrial development now, and in the future.
- To establish the relationship between Butler County's existing and future development and the adopted Butler County Thoroughfare Plan and provide for the proper arrangement of land uses in relation to existing or planned streets and highways.
- Decrease the presence of incompatible land uses.
- Protect and enhance the quality of the County's natural environment and conserve natural resources.
- Promote beneficial economic growth, development and re-development.
- Facilitate orderly new growth, where appropriate, during the planning horizon.
- Provide a tangible expression of each community's future land development desires.
Strategies to achieve Goal 1 and Objectives
- Provide areas defined in this Plan as being within Development Service Areas with the highest level of urban services including; but not limited to, public water service and waste management, sidewalks, neighborhood parks and storm water drainage provisions.
- Increase opportunities to keep agriculture a viable industry in Butler County and minimize conflicts between farming practices and areas of urban development.
- Continue to provide for reserves of land for future industrial development. Areas of existing industrial development should be provided with adequate public services and located within close proximity to the network of County roads. Scattered and uncoordinated industrial development should be discouraged.
- Efforts to preserve and enhance existing urban and village centers should be encouraged.
- Areas, which are proposed for residential development, should be protected from the intrusion of incompatible land uses. Development of residential areas at higher densities should be promoted only where they can reasonably and economically be served with essential public services.
- Continue to promote the use of Planned Unit Development zoning techniques as a desirable land use control for residential, commercial and industrial development especially in the presence of sensitive environmental conditions or to ease the transition between incompatible land uses.
- Encourage relatively compact retail, commercial and industrial land uses developed according to a unified development plan taking advantage of shared amenities including: parking, vehicle and pedestrian access, landscaping and signage.
- Continue to encourage strong enforcement of existing zoning, floodplain and wellhead protection regulations to protect the natural environment and continue to monitor and update these regulations when appropriate.
- Continue the long-range storm water drainage and erosion control management programs to ensure proper control and abatement of water pollution and flooding which threatens the health and welfare of Butler County residents.
- Ensure high quality residential, commercial and industrial development through effective and efficient enforcement of the Butler County Subdivision Regulations.
- Encourage ongoing research into innovative zoning and subdivision development techniques.
TO PROVIDE THE BOARD OF COUNTY COMMISSIONERS, COUNTY PLANNING COMMISSION, ZONING COMMISSIONS AND TOWNSHIP TRUSTEES WITH POLICY GUIDELINES IN ORDER TO ASSIST THEM IN THEIR WEEKLY, MONTHLY AND ANNUAL DECISION-MAKING CONCERNING LAND USE, ZONING, PUBLIC FACILITIES AND SERVICES, AND DEVELOPMENT REVIEW MATTERS.
- To remove as much uncertainty as possible from the development processes within Butler County and thereby to facilitate optimum locational decisions on the part of individuals, farmers, developers, households, businesses, and industries, as well as the respective local governments.
- To determine the recommended pattern of future land use in each of the Butler County townships so that the respective Township Trustees will have a coordinated basis on which to predicate their own decisions on local growth and management.
- To provide a written expression of each community's desire for future land development.
- To provide continuity in terms of direction of Butler County's future growth through successive township and county administrations.
Strategies to achieve Goal 2 and Objectives
- Provide opportunities for respective townships to have meaningful input toward creation and updating the Butler County Land Use Plan 2001.
- Ensure copies of the Butler County Land Use Plan 2001 are provided to each township official and township office.
- Encourage the use of, and reference to, the elements of the Plan by the Butler County Planning Commission in their recommendations to ensure the Plan becomes a working document.
- Make copies of the Plan available to members of the various townships zoning boards and commissions, and if requested, educate those members about the policies being promoted through the Plan, in order to assist them with their local decision making.
TO CREATE A FRAMEWORK TO PROVIDE CURRENT AND FUTURE RESIDENTS IN BUTLER COUNTY THE OPPORTUNITY TO CREATE A SHARED VISION FOR THEIR COMMUNITY.
- Provide opportunities for Butler County residents to have meaningful input toward creation and revisions to the Butler County Land Use Plan 2001.
- Work to promote interest in, and the understanding of, land use planning as a worthwhile community activity.
- To provide a vehicle to express to the region, and the world, the future land use desires of Butler County.
Strategies to achieve Goal 3 and Objectives
- Include the assistance of County residents on committees and focus groups, or solicit resident opinions through the use of interviews and surveys to gauge opinions about development in their community.
- Make full use of new technology such as the Butler County World Wide Web site to display the plan for the general public.
- Be willing, if requested, to provide presentations or presentation materials to civic groups or other groups of residents who have an interest in more fully understanding the elements of the Plan.
- Make sufficient copies of the Plan available to the general public at a reasonable cost.
TO ESTABLISH THE FRAMEWORK FOR IMPLEMENTING THE RECOMMENDATIONS OF THIS PLAN IN A TIMELY AND MEANINGFUL MANNER.
- Ensure that the various planning and zoning commissions throughout the County are given the opportunity to use the Plan as part of their decision making process.
- Promote the Plan as a working document through its reference in the decision making process.
- Ensure that public and private agencies that have an impact on the lives of County residents are aware of the development desires of the community as outlined in the Plan.
- Allow for the policies and recommendations of this Plan to be implemented as part of recommendations regarding zone change applications or other development proposals.
- Continually stay abreast of changes in the physical, social, or regulatory environment, which may impact the Plan.
- Promote this Plan as a useful working document.
- Ensure other planning agencies outside of the County takes this Plan into consideration.
- Establish criteria to determine the need for amendments to the Plan.
Strategies to achieve Goal 4 and Objectives
- Ensure that copies of the Butler County Land Use Plan are provided to each township official, land developer and the general public.
- Encourage the use of, and reference to, the elements of the Plan by the Butler County Planning Commission as part of their recommendations regarding re-zoning requests or other development review matters to ensure the Plan becomes a useful working document.
- Thoroughly review the Butler County Land Use Plan 2001 every five years and revise accordingly.
- Develop a prioritized "work program" on an annual basis outlining tasks for the Planning Commission Staff to accomplish to ensure that actives are undertaken to move the County in the direction outlined by the Goals and Objectives.
- The need for amendments to the Plan shall be based on substantial evidence presented by the Planning Commission, Planning Commission Staff, land developers, local elected officials or residents of the County, and in doing so, it is the applicants responsibility to prove that such modifications are justified.
TO ASSIST THE CONTINUING EFFORTS OF COORDINATING VARIOUS PLANNING AGENCIES OPERATING IN THE COUNTY AND ACHIEVE THE OVERALL GOALS AND OBJECTIVES OF THIS PLAN WITHOUT BEING UNDULY DISRUPTED BY ANY SINGLE ELEMENT OF THIS PLAN OR OTHER PLANNING EFFORTS UNDERTAKEN IN BUTLER COUNTY.
- Assure that individual township plans do not adversely affect the general good of the County and region and to achieve consistency and compatibility in plans amongst the townships.
- To continue inter-agency coordination of planning programs between the county, cities, villages and townships to facilitate the adequate provision of services and facilities in all parts of the County.
- Ensure the Goals and Objectives of this Plan are compatible in relation to other County planning efforts including public health, education and safety.
- Provide an opportunity to modify or alter any element of this Plan when substantial evidence is presented to justify a need to deviate from an element of this Plan so that the general welfare of the residents of Butler County is better served.
Strategies to achieve Goal 5 and Objectives
- Copies of the Butler County Land Use Plan 2001 should be distributed to all County Officeholders and appropriate agencies so they may predicate their decisions based on the future land development desires of the community.
- Copies of the Butler County Land Use Plan 2001 should be distributed to all school systems in order to provide a valuable resource to assist with their long-range strategic planning and to allow for their meaningful input.
- The need for amendments to the Plan shall be based on substantial evidence presented by the Planning Commission, Planning Commission staff, land developers, local elected officials or residents of the County, and in doing so, it is the applicants responsibility to prove that such modifications are justified.
- The goals, objectives and strategies of this Plan shall be viewed in their entirety when determining the conformity of a development proposal.
-Return to the Top-